Saturday, October 2, 2010

Enchanted


Enchanted is #143 in the Bantam series and was published in August 1981. Lady Elfa Allerton finds a way to keep her sister from marrying the Duke of Lynchester, who wishes to marry into their family to gain the 10.000 acres that a past duke sold to her relatives. She asks him to marry her, instead!

This is a very risque cover for a Barbara Cartland book! It depicts a scene where our heroine goes for a swim in a nearby lake after she and the hero are married. There is a signature, but I can't read the name of the illustrator. I wonder what Barbara thought of this cover?? There are a few others, done around 1985, that were also questionable.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Elfa enchanting Silvanus. When I saw this book on the bookstore shelf back in 1982, I dropped all other shopping plans and bought this just because it was different from the others. I have more than 100 of the Bantam books, some in Arrow edition, and Corgi. But I love all with the Francis Marshall cover especially the earlier ones when his style was a bit simpler and the lines were stark.

    ReplyDelete