Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Love Me For Ever


Love Me Forever is an Arrow (UK) publication from 1975. In the 1780's, the Duke of Melyncourt in in France to carry out a dangerous mission for the prime minister. Ame is a young girl who escaped from a convent into the duke's carriage. Many exciting adventures occur before he realizes that she is the duchess for him!

Francis Marshall illustrates our couple in a pleasure garden. Note the exquisite clothing and wigs they are wearing! I like the details of their clothes and the gazebo in the background. Marshall does a great job conveying the party atmosphere of this scene. Too bad we don't dress like this; at least for masquerades!!

7 comments:

  1. This was my first Barbara Cartland book! I LOVED it. Ame is so sweet, and "Monseigneur" is so romantic... (I love it when he kisses the hem of her dress!) I really enjoyed Hugo and Isabella's story too... I've been looking for more BC books ever since I read this one. Thank you so much for making this blog... It is such a help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cover is different. Will always remember this novel because this is the only Barbara Cartland I've read where the hero & heroine are not a coupe at the end .Ame chooses to become a nun & refuses to marry the Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like "These Old Shades" inspired plot. Good. I liked These Old Shades and if this book contains more interaction between the hero and heroine - the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I understand correctly, Love Me Forever originally ended with Amé taking her vows. But the Kindle edition has the Reverend Mother helping them to escape back to England with an alternate plan. Was this an updated ending for the Kindle edition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at my Arrow copy and it ends with the RM helping them and giving them her blessing. So that was the original ending.

      Delete
  5. I understand the original ending had Amé taking her vows. Is that true? In the Kindle edition the Reverend Mother offers an additional plan that enables the Duke and Amé to escape back to England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ame went back to the convent to take her vows but the duke went after her and in my Arrow copy, the RM had a plan to allow the duke to take her to England to marry.

      Delete