Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Daring Deception


There are many readers who grew up on Barbara Cartland's books and I've always had an interest in the beautiful cover designs.

Francis Marshall (1901-1980) was a fashion illustrator that created much of Cartland's cover art until his death. I was amazed to find that he did duplicate cover art of the same title: on the top is the British (Arrow publishers) and below the American (Bantam) versions of The Daring Deception. Click on the covers to enlarge.

This book was the first book in the Bantam series published in the US, November 1973 for 95 cents! Cartland went on to write a total of 723 books and Bantam would publish 183 of them between 1973 and 1984. Barbara Cartland was born in England 1901 and died in 2000.

The plot of this book is the adventures of Perdita and Lord Melsonby who fall in love during dangerous times in Morocco. Cartland was famous for plotting her books in exotic locales all over the world!

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing the two covers of the same books in this May 2009 list! I've got most of the Bantom books listed but have never seen the others. The artist pained so many illustrations and amazingly they are all completely accurate scenes from the books' plots. Thank you so much for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Story......but it frustrated me because I wasn't finish the story because there are messing pages on the last part...so I wasn't able to know what was happening after the ceremony by captain for their weeding in vessels, after the Morocco incident......

    ReplyDelete